5 Ways to support Women in Business during Women History Month and Beyond
As we celebrate Women History Month in March, it is a great time to celebrate women in business who are disrupting the status quo and making an impact in the world with women empowerment. This is the perfect time to reflect on how far women have come, but also think about how we can do more to create a better future.
United Nations say that if you empower a woman, you can end generations of poverty and strengthen economies.
As a leader in my own Women in Business community, I meet women every day who are doing incredible work and raising the bar in business. Right now it is more important than ever before to have positive role models, and see other women succeed and thrive, so the next generation of women can see themselves in us, and aspire to become successful too.
Women have had it harder than men for centuries, but in this new decade, women in business are determined to rise and pave their own way for a better future.
Here are some of the recent stats reported around women-owned businesses:
- Women are becoming more financially secure and independent through running their own businesses as women now own more than 36% of businesses worldwide.
- Stats show that four out of 10 business owners are women in business and in the last 20 years, the number of businesses owned by women in the US has increased by 114%.
- Women in business are in charge of more than 46% of private businesses in Ghana.
- Uganda and Vietnam have over 30% of women-owned companies.
- Women-owned businesses statistics show that the female ownership rate is under 10% in the countries of the Middle East, where women have been particularly limited in their equal rights, but these women are more likely to do international business.
As we celebrate Women History Month, let’s empower more women in business to start and run their own businesses and scale them internationally.
So what can we do to empower more women in business?
- Offer support to all women, including the ‘strong ones’ to start a business and grow or scale it. Running your own business or becoming an entrepreneur is no easy undertaking and at every new stage, there are challenges that present themselves. Support a woman starting a business, endorse her, empower her, invest in her or mentor her.
- Give her a spotlight and an opportunity to speak. Women are often held back by fear of speaking up or sharing their views because for far too long women were not validated or not heard. In board rooms, meetings, workplaces or homes. This needs to change, from men’s perspective as well as women. As women, we can also offer each other the opportunity to speak, pass on the mic and let another woman shine.
- Share information that will empower her and support her in her endeavours. Access to information and knowledge is so important for growth and success. If you have access to information or tools, let another woman in business know. Share knowledge widely. You never know who may be in need of this information that to you may seem worthless, for another, it could change their life.
- Invite women in business to be part of networks and communities, like Women in Business. Invite them into conversations where opportunities and deals are happening. This is so crucial, to look out for women and be an ally to another female, who you know is ambitious and ready to receive an opportunity. If you find yourself in a community or a room where opportunities are discussed or deals are being made, invite others. The power of collaboration is far stronger than the fear of competition.
- Create a safe and supportive environment for women to flourish. More and more women have been seeking women-only communities where they feel safe and supported. This is a clear indication that a ‘man’s world’ has not been so supportive or fostering for women, hence the huge rise in women-led communities. It is time we start to create environments for women to flourish not just within a safe environment of women but everywhere that a woman goes.
Women empowerment is the key to success for all, that is why we are focusing the whole month of March on raising women voices and supporting women from all backgrounds and walks of life.
Join our upcoming Women Thrive Summit from 20th to the 31st of March, featuring over 40+ amazing speakers, entrepreneurs and thought leaders helping women in business succeed and thrive in business. You can connect with other likeminded people, learn new skills and gain inspiration to grow and succeed in business.
Save your spot here — https://join.womenthrivesummit.com/
Serial Entrepreneur, Mentor, Business Coach, and International Speaker. She is the founder of the Women In Business Club, international community and events to help women become visible go-to experts. She is a vocal supporter of diversity and inclusion, women empowerment and equality. Raimonda helps business owners get established and visible online — so they can build a successful business online and become the go-to authority in their field.